Sunday, November 4, 2007

In my recent post, Selling the "Good Points", I had no intention to blame Laurie Manny for how she is trying to get people to buy the Alamitos Bay Condos on Ocean Blvd. One of the reasons I bothered to mention Bob Maguglin's statement was that it is fair to sell what good points you have. If Long Beach was such a bad place to live in, I would not be trying to sink the breakwater, or rather reconfigure part of it. There are many good points to living in Long Beach, I just feel that there is also a lot we can to do help improve it. One way to do this is to improve the water quality of Long Beach by removing part of the breakwater.

Anyways, the reason I am writing this is because I was looking for information to make a post about, and I happened to see another post from the Long Beach Real Estate in my google search. Little had I known, I was linked to a post in response to my Selling the "Good Points" post. Laurie Manny had read my post, and I seemed to have offended her, yet these were not my intentions at all. She is doing a great job as a realtor, and I constantly see her posts and interactions amongst the community. I would like to apologize for this. I was also mistaken for being a part of the Surfrider Foundation, which she criticized for making this, and I would like to make it apparent that this blog has no direct connection with the Surfrider Foundation. I use a lot of information from the Surfrider Foundation in order to inform people about their campaign, but I am blogging to change something as a requirement for a college class I am enrolled in. Again, I apologize for this misunderstanding and would like to remind everyone that although Long Beach Real Estate may have some low prices at the moment, there are prestigous condos worth buying at this time. Once we can figure out how to raise money and sort out the best possible way to reconfigure the breakwater, many of you might be able to enjoy the beach outside of your home.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel that Laurie Manny has taken this to far! everyone is entitled to their own opinions. yes those condos have fallen in price, i ask myself why? I do find it funny how realtor's do just show you the good points on home's, they show you how nice they are inside, they tell you that they are waterfront properties. i notice that the pictures of the view are taken at dusk or dawn, and yes it is a beautiful veiw. but, i think everyone would like to know what the view looked like in the day light? if they are paying that much to have a waterfront property can they walk over the road and jump in the water without thinking twice? I think not! everyone want to have a beachfront home but would it be better if there was rolling waves and clean water? I think so! Long Beach is an amasing place don't get me wrong, but there are a few things needed to be sorted out, before it can achieve the standard that everybody wants, like house prices, and killer waves!

lynzeymarie said...

I appreciate your comment and must agree with you. Your view seems to portray exactly the way I feel. I was not trying to bash Laurie Manny, but rather take notice of the fact that there might be a reason for many of the condos going up for sale. Whether or not there is huge demographics in Long Beach, I feel that it is important to wonder why so many beach front condos with beautiful views would be sold. I am sure many people will have a similar opinion, I just wanted to clarify my intentions here. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

Anonymous said...

"why is it that there are 62 luxury condos for sale as of September 29, 2007?"

The short answer is this; there are more sellers than buyers.

Your article lacks an understanding of the Long Beach real estate market. The main issue contributing to the supply/demand imbalance is the rapid contraction of the capital markets.

California, in general, and Long Beach, specifically, enjoyed double digit annual percentage growth from 1999-2005. There was a supply/demand imbalance for housing. As those prices rose, they got ahead of the pool of qualified buyers; prices had nowhere else to go but down.

Ms. Manny points out the merits of owning property with an ocean view in her market report. She highlights that ocean-view property ownership, when viewed in a long-term perspective, is an excellent investment. Dips in market prices present a buying opportunity for that long-term property owner/investor.

Your attempt to "connect the dots" with an environmental issue is the fallacious argument of confusing cause an effect.

(If A causes B then the presence of B must be that A is true)

Environmental deterioration can cause lower real estate prices...but so can a contraction of lending capital.

This article is a classic example of this fallacious argument

Anonymous said...

well brian brady tell me why a large group of people are trying to sell their homes in the same area? and i know you'l say supply and demand blah blah wotever! but your trying to get all technical and use large words to confuse us, but you have to admit the condos are not selling for a reason al lindsay is trying to say, is it the breakwater? the water quality? so stop getting all defensive, it says you are america's number 1 morgage broker? times might be getting tough, going on the Long Beach Market Report. Everybody on the street will say they would be more accepting to buy, if the water quality is of a higher level. Maybe you should get back to trying to sell houses, if you can. and it's good to see you tell people to accentuate the positive amenities to give the best presentation! A waterfront property would be long lasting investment if we sink the breakwater. Clean water and rolling waves, Prices would soar! but i guess your not thinking of that!

lynzeymarie said...

It is interesting to see these very different points of view. I do not see my "connect the dots" as a fallacious argument as Brian Brady points out because you even admit yourself that environmental deterioration can lower prices. I understand that the market for many is at a low, but I do feel that it is fair to make the connection to the breakwater. I feel that the breakwater has been a major concern for Long Beach residents, and I do believe that most people would rather buy a condo in Huntington Beach over Long Beach. I have no reason to make any attempts for my argument because I am not trying to gain the benefits myself for "sinking the breakwater." I am fortunate for the beautiful beaches I get to enjoy in New Zealand, my home. Personally, I cannot imagine living in a condo with a beach view in which I cannot even enjoy, and I believe that many others feel the same. I am arguing about this issue for the benefit of others, and I hear quite a lot of arguments and complaints about issues from the Long Beach Breakwater. Although the Port decided not to support this campaign financially, the Long Beach City Council voted in favor. Doesn't this also make you wonder why some of the most important people in decision making in Long Beach are realizing that the breakwater may be affecting the city? Whether you want to agree with this or not, or you would rather focus on your real estate facts and terminology, the comments from the community are far more important. The whole point of the argument is that the community is tired of a polluted beach and no waves and are trying to make a difference. Many people are beginning to step up which means that hopefully we will find a solution to environmental issues in Long Beach. If the breakwater is reconfigured as a sollution to this problem soon, then Laurie Manny is right in saying that this is a good investment, but definitely a long-term investment.