Sunday, October 14, 2007

Surf Long Beach



"Hi Everyone! Southern California is great! All of the beaches are full of people except Long Beach. Back in the day it used to be one of the most popular beaches-now it is just so polluted that hardly anyone comes here. The local Surfrider Foundation chapter sampled water looking for signs of pollution and it is bad news! Just off shore there is a giant rock breakwater that was built for the Navy in the 1940s. The Navy left but the breakwater is still here and because of it the water is stagnant and dirty. Local Surfrider members are trying to get the breakwater removed or altered so the beach can come back to life. Sounds like a good idea to me! Well, I am leaving to a cleaner beach nearby. See you soon! XOXO"

This is a brilliant postcard created by the Long Beach chapter of Surfrider Foundation. The picture above is the front of the postcard. This amusing picture is reinstating the fact that if there actually was surf in Long Beach, you would need to be completely covered to avoid a disease you might get from the polluted water. The quote is written on the back of the postcard and is thoughtfully laid out to inform the public. I think this was a creative way to explain the problem the breakwater has created. I find this absolutely hilarious because it is basically true, and I hope that after seeing this you are even more convinced about sinking the breakwater.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow this makes me think twice before I go near the water. i feel that the breakwater was usefully back in the 1940's but wot is its use now??? i feel its cause more trouble than its worth!

Anonymous said...

I love you Lindsay San Jose!!!!! and cum to New Zealand to be with me! love David!!!!!!!!!!

lynzeymarie said...

I love you too bub! Thanks for your support.